Air conditioning in the winter? No, not exactly…but it’s that time of the year near Los Angeles that those pesky overnight frosts can start to take their toll, and often times people don’t realize that heating is an integral part of the air conditioning service. Fortunately, we here at ASM are in the holiday spirit, and although we can’t make the rounds to all of Southern California, knowledge is the gift that keeps on giving. So, here are a few tips for your winter season to keep your air conditioning and heating unit operating at optimal efficiency:
Air Conditioning and Heating tips to keep your HVAC unit going strong all season:
1) Believe it or not, topping off your freon is one of the few tasks that actually requires a licensed HVAC expert…that means that many of the average air conditioning service practices can be done by you yourself with just a few spare minutes of time.
2) Tip: clean your coils! Particularly with split air conditioning systems (meaning part of your air conditioning system is outside and part of it is inside, located in a closet), it only takes about five to ten minutes. First, turn your system off and wait at least fifteen minutes for everything to cool down. Then disconnect the power to it via the applicable circuit breaker. If it is a split system, go outside and find your condenser (the large, box-like unit with the fan in the middle located outside). Spray your unit down inside and out with your garden hose, ensuring to remove all loose debris (leaves, dirt, etc).
3) Next, mix a solution of one part bleach to ten parts water.
4) Open up the inside unit using a screw driver or other applicable tool. Scrub the air condenser coils (the coils of the inside unit) with a scrub brush and the bleach solution you made in step 3, being careful not to drip any of the solution into your eyes. ASM recommends wearing safety glasses for this step. Close up inside unit.
5) That’s it! Believe it or not, you’ve likely increased your efficiency by around 10-40%.
If you are still interested in air conditioning near Los Angeles – here is a another good article on air conditioning cleaning tips.
Have questions or need some more advice? Don’t hesitate to call us here at All Systems Mechanical Air Conditioning and Heating. For air conditioning near Los Angeles and the rest of Southern California, ASM is here to help and can answer any questions that you may have. Give us a call!